When you think of superfoods, what do you imagine? An avocado with super strength? Blueberries that fly and have X-Ray vision? Some foods are so nutrient dense it may seem like they have superpowers, but the truth is not all superheroes wear capes or hide in the contents of a medicine bottle; most of the time, they are just sitting on our plates. Putting it simply, superfoods are nutritional powerhouses that are extraordinarily high in micronutrients such as vitamins, minerals, as well as antioxidants, enzymes and healthy fats. All of these nutrients are essential to our bodies so they can thrive and perform optimally everyday. Think of superfoods as the superheroes of the plant world. But instead of fighting crime and saving the world, superfoods fuel our bodies making us look great, feel great, fight back against chronic disease, and live a longer, healthier life.
Fruits and vegetables are absolutely critical to promoting good health. In fact, fruits and vegetables should be the foundation of any healthy diet. Most people need to double the amount of fruits and vegetables they eat every day.
What are some examples of "superfoods"? There's a long list of foods that have earned the title of superfood, but for this blog, we'll discuss some of the top hitters, and their marvelous benefits. Here are 5 of the top superfoods that boast superpower like nutrient profiles and deliver a health superpunch!
1. Acai berries - Acai berries are a Brazilian superfruit, that are praised for being particularly beneficial to health and well-being. This dark purple fruit certainly packs a nutrient superpunch as they are loaded with powerful plant compounds that act as antioxidants and have benefits for your brain, heart and overall health. In fact, Acai berries so incredibly rich in antioxidants, they boast three times the amount found in blueberries! Antioxidants are vital because they neutralize the damaging effects of free radicals throughout the body. If free radicals are not neutralized by antioxidants, they can damage cells and lead to a number of diseases, including diabetes, cancer and heart disease.
Acai berries also have a unique nutritional profile for a fruit, as they’re somewhat high in healthy fats and low in sugar. The fiber and heart-healthy fats in acai also support heart health. Heart-healthy fats increase HDL (“good”) cholesterol and decrease LDL (“bad”) cholesterol.
2. Garlic - Garlic is a sense sensation, one that lets you know you’ve eaten it, and one that most of the world’s cuisines include, and for good reason! Not only is garlic delicious, but it also boasts all sorts of nutritional benefits. In fact, garlic is one of the most nutrient rich foods on the planet! It is loaded with nutrients such as manganese, vitamin B6, vitamin C, selenium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, and potassium.
Garlic is loaded with bioactive compounds, like allicin, which gives it strong antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, and other healing properties such as helping with iron absorption, reducing inflammation, infection, obesity, and viruses, lowering blood pressure, improving cholesterol levels, lowering blood sugar, and boosting brain health. Don’t doubt the powers of garlic for a second!
3. Blueberries - Blueberries were among the first foods to be titled as a "superfood", and for very good reason. They contain one of the highest antioxidant levels amongst commonly consumed fruit and vegetables, and are extremely rich in naturally occurring plant compounds called phytochemicals or polyphenols such as ellagic acid and anthocyanidins. These Polyphenols are potent antioxidants which help to counterbalance free radicals in the body.
Here are just a few of the reasons to consider adding the healthful blue orbs to your diet. 1. They are extremely nutrient rich and boast an impressive nutritional profile. 2. They're rich in n gut-healthy fiber that can help alleviate and protect against intestinal inflammations. 3. Their rich antioxidant content protect your body from free radicals, waste substances produced by cells in the body as it reacts to environmental stressors and processes food, which have been linked to diseases such as heart disease, cancer, arthritis and stroke.
4. Broccoli - Broccoli is a hearty and tasty vegetable which is super rich in dozens of nutrients. It packs the most nutritional punch of any vegetable. When we think about green vegetables to include in our diet, broccoli is one of the foremost veggies to come to our mind. Broccoli is a good source of fiber and protein, and contains iron, potassium, calcium, selenium and magnesium as well as the vitamins A, C, E, K and a good array of B vitamins including folic acid.
Broccoli is also loaded with antioxidants that can help prevent the development of various conditions. The benefits of broccoli include reducing the risk of cancer, improving immune, bone, and skin health, aids in digestion with dietary fiber, and reducing inflammation.
5. Spinach - While it may not make you as strong as Popeye it’s a raw superfood for weight loss that also maintains its nutrients cooked, and is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. Spinach is a vitamin and mineral powerhouse, in fact you could almost say that spinach is a chewable multivitamin.
Just 1 serving of spinach contains 181% of Vitamin K which is great for improving heart function and improving your immune health. Spinach is also known as the "Chlorophyll Champion". Chlorophyll also offers you, a human, a long list of potential health benefits that include improving liver detoxification, protecting the body against cancer, speeds up wound healing, promotes better digestion, and boosts skin health.
Inspired Greens is a comprehensive nutrient powerhouse loaded with organic greens and superfoods such as Organic Kale, Organic Spinach, Organic Broccoli, Spirulina, and Chlorella, carefully selected for the high potency of key vitamins and nutrients.
It's no secret that most people don't eat enough vegetables in their daily diet. If you're like me, getting in your daily value of these nutrient powerhouses can be a real struggle (especially broccoli). If you have a tendency to neglect the importance of these vital daily nutrients, forget to incorporate them into our diet, or just struggle to consume these health boosting foods here are a few supplements that are loaded with a laundry list of superfoods (like the ones above), and other greens and fruits that are absolutely critical to promoting good health.
Fruits and Greens by Self Evolve
Inspired Greens by Inspired Nutraceuticals
Red & Greens by Phase1 Nutrition
The micronutrient content of fruits and vegetables has an important role to play in maintaining health and optimizing exercise performance, energy production and tissue recovery durin ...